Summer Schools at Wasser Berlin 2009
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) provided financial means to organize three International DAAD Alumni Summer Schools at German Universities in 2009.
The DAAD-Alumni Summer School “Water and Energy”, was organised in Siegen (Germany) from 22nd to 28th March, 2009. After the Summer Schools, participants of all three summer schools travelled to Berlin on 29th March, where a special program wass organized by DAAD in co-operation with the German Association for Water, Wastewater and Waste (DWA) and the Federal Association of Companies in the Gas and Water Industries (figawa).
A visit to the international trade fair “Wasser Berlin” (on Water and Wastewater) was part of the program.
The Topics of the Summer School in Siegen “Water and Energy” were as follows:
- Integrated management of resources
- Water quality management
- Ecological water quality (EU Water Framework Directive)
- Capture, analysis, assessment of biological, chemical and physical quality com-ponents and representation of the results (surface water and groundwater)
- Surface and groundwater monitoring (methods/techniques)
- Management plan and program of measures
- Training programs in water sector
- Development of a database for surface and groundwater
- Geothermal energy as one option for renewable energies
- Geological background
- Classification of geothermal energy
- Ecological and economical aspects of geothermal energy
- Geothermal energy world-wide
- Drilling engineering
Results are found <media 543>here</media>
German institutions active in GAWN
- DWA - German Association for Water, Waste water and Waste
- Cologne University of Applied Sciences, ITT - Institute for Technology in the Tropics
- Hochschule Ostwestfalen-Lippe, Institute for Sanitary Engineering
- University of Siegen, Centre for International Capacity Development
- Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences - Urban water management
- Justus Liebig Universität Giessen - Center for international Development and Environmental Research
- Technische Universität Dresden, Institute of Hydraulic Engineering and Technical Hydrodynamics
- cewas - a Swiss non-profit association specialised in improving business practices in water and sanitation
- Weltweit – Gesellschaft zur Förderung lokaler Initiativen e. V.