2017 Uganda - Moroto the second - DAAD ALUMNI SEMINAR IN UGANDA
On behalf of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), the CICD at University of Siegen organized the
International DAAD Alumni Expert Seminar “Enhancing Water Security and Adaptive Capacities in Vulnerable Catchments in East Africa"
Centre For International Capacity Development (CICD), Universität Siegen – Germany
Institute For Technology And Resources Management In The Tropics And Subtropics (ITT) at Technische Hochschule Köln – Germany
College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, (CAES), Makerere University – Uganda
This seminar was the second out of a series of two and was held in Moroto, Uganda from 14th of August to 22st of August 2017.
The expert seminar presented a unique platform for Alumni to work together with the local communities to directly address compelling water security issues.
The general objective of the seminars was to strengthen local and regional capacities in Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) as a contribution to enhancing water security in Eastern Africa. Specifically, German Alumni participating in the seminars strengthened their capacity in utilizing new methods and techniques, while participants from local authorities and community organizations were involved in participatory catchment analysis.
The first seminar resulted in
- an analysis of water security challenges in the Kapir catchment
- an introduction of methods, techniques and tools for management of shared water resources using the Integrated Watershed Management Approach
Building on the first seminar, and efforts from Ministry of Water and Environment of Uganda, several restoration plans have been developed. Based on the above
- the institutional and legal framework for water resource development in the East African region were analysed.
- restoration plans of micro-catchments in the Karamoja region were consolidated;
- the German alumni network in East Africa is further strengthened to contribute to the development of the region
20 German Alumni out of the East African Region were invited and financed by DAAD representing the institutions in the region related to water affairs. They functioned as resource persons and facilitators for their respective institutions and disciplines. The regional oriented seminar had participants of the following countries: Ethiopia, Kenya, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda.
Two lecturers of the CICD, Universität Siegen, and one lecturer from ITT Cologne were participating as organisers and resource persons.
German institutions active in GAWN
- DWA - German Association for Water, Waste water and Waste
- Cologne University of Applied Sciences, ITT - Institute for Technology in the Tropics
- Hochschule Ostwestfalen-Lippe, Institute for Sanitary Engineering
- University of Siegen, Centre for International Capacity Development
- Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences - Urban water management
- Justus Liebig Universität Giessen - Center for international Development and Environmental Research
- Technische Universität Dresden, Institute of Hydraulic Engineering and Technical Hydrodynamics
- cewas - a Swiss non-profit association specialised in improving business practices in water and sanitation
- Weltweit – Gesellschaft zur Förderung lokaler Initiativen e. V.