- Expert Meetings at Trade Fairs and Conferences
- Alumni Seminars in Partner Countries
- 2018 Sudan - North Kordofan
- 2017 Uganda - Moroto
- 2016 Uganda - Moroto
- 2016 Ethiopia - Tigray the Second
- 2015 Ethiopia - Tigray Region
- 2014 Kenya - Tsavo River the second
- 2013 Kenya - Tsavo River
- 2012 Sudan - Khartoum
- 2012 Vietnam
- 2012 Uganda - Mbale
- 2011 Kenya - Nairobi
- 2011 Uganda - Soroti
- 2008 Kenya - Meru
- 2007 Kenya - Meru
- DWA Seminars
You will be directed to the group GAWN member once you are registered on APD. Members will get latest informations on upcoming seminars and other news out of the water sector.
Log in to the GAWN Member Group on APD
2017 Uganda - Moroto the second - DAAD ALUMNI SEMINAR IN UGANDA
On behalf of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), the CICD at University of Siegen is organizing the
International DAAD Alumni Expert Seminar “Enhancing Water Security and Adaptive Capacities in Vulnerable Catchments in East Africa"
Deadline for application has passed on June 02, 2017!
Centre For International Capacity Development (CICD), Universität Siegen – Germany
Institute For Technology And Resources Management In The Tropics And Subtropics (ITT) at Technische Hochschule Köln – Germany
College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, (CAES), Makerere University – Uganda
This seminar is the second out of a series of two and will be held in Moroto, Uganda. The seminar is scheduled from 14th of August (day of arrival) to 22st of August 2017 (day of departure).
The expert seminar presents a unique platform for Alumni to work together with the local communities to directly address compelling water security issues.
The general objective of the seminars is to strengthen local and regional capacities in Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) as a contribution to enhancing water security in Eastern Africa. Specifically, German Alumni participating in the seminars will strengthen their capacity in utilizing new methods and techniques, while participants from local authorities and community organizations will be involved in participatory catchment analysis.
The first seminar resulted in
- an analysis of water security challenges in the Kapir catchment
- an introduction of methods, techniques and tools for management of shared water resources using the Integrated Watershed Management Approach
You may download the results under 2016 Uganda - Moroto. Building on the first seminar, and efforts from Ministry of Water and Environment of Uganda, several restoration plans have been developed. Based on the above
- the institutional and legal framework for water resource development in the East African region will be analysed.
- restoration plans of micro-catchments in the Karamoja region will be consolidated;
- the German alumni network in East Africa will be further strengthened to contribute to the development of the region
A consolidated micro-catchment management plan capturing water resources management for water use: monitoring and assessment of available resources (quality, quantity); Water safety management: Inventory, assessment and reduction of risks; climate change adaptation: impact assessment, planning resilience, recommending practical measures to reduce vulnerability.
20 German Alumni out of the East African Region are invited and financed by DAAD representing the institutions in the region related to water affairs. They function as resource persons and facilitators for their respective institutions and disciplines. The regional oriented seminar focuses on participants of the following countries: Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda.
Two lecturers of the CICD, Universität Siegen, and one lecturer from ITT Cologne are participating as organisers and resource persons.
Contact and Coordination
Centre for International Capacity Development
Telefon: +49 271 740 3394
Working Group GAWN
- DWA - German Association for Water, Waste water and Waste
- Cologne University of Applied Sciences, ITT - Institute for Technology in the Tropics
- Hochschule Ostwestfalen-Lippe, Institute for Sanitary Engineering
- University of Bonn, Institute for Geography
- University of Siegen, Centre for International Capacity Development
- Technische Universität Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty for Geoscience, Geotechnique and Mining
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Resources Engineering - a water oriented master study program
- Ruhr Universität Bochum, Institute for Infrastructure and Environmental Engineering
- Technische Universität Dresden, Institute of Hydraulic Engineering
- Universität Rostock, Institute for Environmental Engineering